Functional Intervention at Sandra L. Thompson & Associates is an approach to help differently abled children ages 3-8 years old to understand the function and purpose of the world around them. This approach will increase purposeful play, safety awareness, language and communication and self-help skills. Functional Intervention can also help to lower the severity of developmental issues and help to mitigate the risks that come with disabilities.
Our program is specialized to work toward meeting your child’s developmental milestones based on their abilities. Our specialist does not address one specific area but instead look at your child GLOBALLY in areas such as:
- Cognitive Skills (thinking, learning, solving problems)
- Language and Communication Skills(talking*, listening, understanding others)
- Functional play skills (cause and effect, gross and fine motor skills, task completion and attending)
- Safety Skills (following directions, task elopement/escape and self-awareness)
* use of individual’s communication means
All goals are individualized and implemented to foster your child’s abilities and address focused milestones. At our location, your child will experience learning in an environment strategically organized to provide structure, functionality, discovery, and fun.
1. Helps learn functionality through play and focused skill instruction.
2. May reduce the need for intensive instructional support during school years.
3. Develops school readiness and social skills.