Sandra L Thompson & Associates specializes in life skills instruction and parent coaching within the differently abled community. We offer private in-home life skills instructional support and coaching to families who have a differently abled youth 3-30 years old. We approach each family differently to meet their needs
- Daily Living Skills (self-care skills and domestic skills)
- Social Skills (emotional regulation, self-awareness, safety, etc.)
- Cognitive Processing (reasoning, problem solving, attending & focus,)
- Other Challenges (sleep issues, toileting, routines, feeding, schedules, etc.)
- Parental concerns, challenges and need for acountability
- Transitional Skills (pre-job skills, independent living skills)
- Empower families to help their child reach their true potential.
- Increase ability skills and independence
- Parent-Specialist-Coach partnership
- Strengthen parent-child relationship
- Three words: Transformation, Progress, and Accountability.
COMBINATION SUPPORT (Ages 3-25*)
Combination support is when our specialist and parent partners to lead youth to independency by focusing on their abilities. This approach is for youth who needs extended systematic instruction to learn specific skills. The specialist provides hands-on instruction based on the skill and temperament of the youth as the parent participates, implement, practice, and maintain skills during and outside of sessions as directed by specialist. Sessions are scheduled for 2-4 hours weekly over an extended timeframe. Parents are expected to be present and engaged, encourage involvement and progress, use tips and strategies as suggested and debrief during parent coaching sessions. We work closely with parent to monitor progress and generalize skills from person to person. We develop service supportive tools, such as individualized service plan, protocols, support aids, and schedule accountability virtual conferences. We are committed to helping and supporting parents every step of the way. In time, parents will realize that they are the magic!
BOOT CAMP COMBINATION SUPPORT (Ages 3-25*)
Life Skills bootcamp is intensive, short term systematic instruction to sharpen familiar skills. This approach is perfect for youth who are inconsistently performing specific skills or a series of skills because of lack of confidence. You as the parent may feel strongly about their capabilities, however, your child seeks constant help, refuses or you give in out of frustration. During our boot camp, youth will receive intensive hands-on instruction and support for 2 or 3 consecutive days weekly over a 5-week period. Youth will practice up to three skills or a series of tasks over the course of their camp and celebrate their success at their completion ceremony. Parents are expected to practice skills, encourage involvement and progress, use tips and strategies as suggested and debrief during parent coaching sessions.
*Ages 17-25 are accepted on a case-by-case basis.
PARENT COACHING (Ages 3-30)
Parent coaching is for parents who is willing to put in the work with the direction and support of our coach. This approach is for parents who is willing to put in the work with guidance. This service is perfect for global support because sessions are held by phone or virtually. Parent coaching can be short term or extended based on needs. Your coach shall motivate, instruct, guide, observe and support as the parent implement, practice, and maintain focused skills. Your coach develops plans, protocols; create support aids, and schedule accountability virtual conferences and home visits. Parents can expect the following:
- Discussion with an experienced and knowledgeable professional.
- Develop and follow a focus plan to address concerns and challenges.
- Accountability partnership.
- Troubleshoot your experience and share feedback.
- Celebrate ALL accomplishments.
- Motivation and encouragement during challenging moments and experiences.
- Objective, yet straight forward guidance and advice to help you reclaim your parenting joys.
- Click here for more about our parent coaching services.
Consultative support is as needed support. Our coach helps with troubleshooting specific challenges and concerns as they occur. Helpful and result driven tips and strategies are introduced for parents to implement and practice. Parents are expected to use tips and strategies and share feedback during their follow up session. Click here for more about our coaching services.
WE FOCUS ON ABILITIES!
WE EMPOWER FAMILIES!
LEAD YOUR CHILD TOWARD INDEPENDENCE.
WE FOCUS ON ABILITIES! WE EMPOWER FAMILIES!
AREAS OF FOCUS
Developing essential life skills is important as your child interact with peers, family and others. We are successful because we approach each child differently.
We meet families where they are and build on their skills.